Monday, September 12, 2016

The summer of 2016...Part 1

Be proactive about your health.

Image result for surgery pictures free

Now to the story...


Earlier this year I had my annual physical. After the examine, my doctor informed me that I had fibroid tumors, and my uterus was four times the size it should be. She said it was the size of a four-month pregnant woman and they would only get bigger.  I had options on how to handle the tumors. I chose to have a hysterectomy.

The procedure was scheduled for July 12, 2016, I begin preparing in May. I was given a shot that was supposed to help shrink the fibroids, and that would help the operation I chose a lot easier. It pushed me into early menopause and things were strange for those few months but I dealt with it the best I could. I'm happy to say the shot worked and  I was able to get the surgery that I wanted.

There are different ways to perform a hysterectomy. The one that cuts across the abdomen or laparoscopically.  They both have pros and cons. The recovery is faster with the laparoscopic operation, however, the surgery itself takes longer.  Having a cut across the abdomen takes longer to heal but the surgery itself isn't as long.  I'm not a doctor this is just some things I learned and I'm passing the information to you. It's important to talk about all your options and risks with your doctor. I opted to have the laparoscopic surgery.

July 12th finally came. We arrived at the hospital early in the morning and I was prepped. I met with the nurses and doctors that would be taking care of me and before I know it, I was in recovery. All I remember is starting to count backward 10,9,8.... In recovery,  my doctor told me that everything was good.  No cancer, no mishaps.

My recovery was underway and it was a huge adjustment for me because I'm used to taking care of my family. For six weeks, I couldn't lift anything heavier than a milk jug I couldn't drive (for a week), vacuum, or do anything strenuous. In essence, take it easy. It was challenging with all six of our children were at home for summer break, being on heavy pain medication, and not really feeling like myself. It seemed like the road to healing was going to be a long road.

This was the first, and hopefully last major surgery I've ever had. I don't regret my choice and I'm glad things went well.

 Wait until you hear what happens next...


Information, you can use.
http://www.healthline.com/health/laparoscopy
http://www.healthline.com/health/uterine-fibroids#Overview1

Hair: Ponytail
Emotion: Grateful

No comments:

Post a Comment