Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Helping Others


  


 Today I'd like to talk to you about how good it feels to help others. It not only helps them, it does something for you as well. I've been reading this book by Zig Ziglar called, See You At the Top and it is amazing! I recommend you pick up a copy today or go to the library and check it out. He said something in the book that really struck home with me. He said, "You can get everything in life you want if you help enough other people get what they want."

Just let that soak in for a moment. Doesn't that make all the sense in the world? I know it does for me. It certainly puts a lot of things in perspective. It makes me want to be a better person (conditioner) to help someone else.

 I know my season will come so in the meantime, how can I help you? I want to help from a pure heart not from the standpoint of if you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. It brings me joy to see whoever I've helped have success. I feel like we all win. Doesn't that feel much better than sitting on the sideline criticizing? Give it a try.

I was asked to be the assistant director for the middle school production Treasure Island in WI. I was happy to do it. I was elated when I found out we were helping out a student that has a rare bone cancer called osteosarcoma.
 I love that all the proceeds will go directly to him for his treatments. Isn't that wonderful? I am amazed at how the cast and crew are working so hard to make this production a success. By the way, these are middle schoolers that are giving their time and talents to help out this student. I'm so proud to be a part of this movement. I've never met the student and I don't need to. Just knowing that I can lend a helping hand has made this experience worthwhile.

I know you're probably wondering, "what does this have to do with hair?" Well, today it's not about hair, I wanted to highlight this story about this young student in the fight of his life and the love the community is pouring out for him.

It's nice to be a part of something bigger than myself. I challenge you reading this blog to look outside yourself and see where you can "condition" somebody's life.

Here's a little more information about Kyle:

Osteosarcoma is not a word we hear every day unless you are West Bend West Sophomore Kyle Koenig. Right after his successful run in “Miracle on 34th Street, Kyle was diagnosed with this rare form of bone cancer. Because Drama Club “feels like a family”, the middle school students participating in this year’s production of “Treasure Island” (which opens next week) decided to donate %100 of their ticket sales and other fundraisers to Kyle. Opportunities to build our donation will be concession sales, a book raffle, pirate photo ops, eye patch purchases and other funness for the kids. This show has an approximate run time of 1 ½ hours and is very appropriate for all ages.

An added bonus is a special pirate story, The Adventures of Captain Kyle,  written by East Senior Christine Gan that will be performed by our actorsJ Check out the amazing YouTube video “How Cancer Affects Us” by East Sophomore Kendahl Skomski (aka YoitsKendahl)!



Hair: Puff
Emotion: Helpful, excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment